Monday, March 5, 2012

m1 - St. Patty's Day!

My mom’s side of the family is pretty Irish, so we usually always celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in some way. We always have corned beef and cabbage for dinner on St. Patrick’s Day. However, this year I won’t even be able to eat it with the rest of my family, seeing how I recently have taken up vegetarianism again. In this case, I have no idea what I will do to celebrate it. I will of course wear green when the day comes, and possibly decorate my nails with festive colors and pictures (I’m thinking shamrocks). Also, last year on St. Patrick’s Day, I celebrated my Irish-ness by listening to a lot of The Dropkick Murphy’s. I suppose I should also buy a shamrock shake this march, since I haven’t had one in such a long time, and it would go right along with the festivities. Other than that, there is really no significant way that we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Dyngus Day, however, is a different story. My dad’s side of the family came straight from Poland, and there is even a rumor that we are part of a distant line of royalty. I don’t know how true it is, but it gives my aunts and I and excuse to act spoiled sometimes! My cousins always go downtown for Dyngus Day celebrations, so it’s much more of a big deal in my family than St. Patrick’s Day. I can’t wait until I’m out of high school and old enough to go out and celebrate with my cousins on the best Polish holiday ever! I’m proud of my heritage, and want to revel it! So I might not be as in touch with the Irish part of my heritage, but I am proud of it none the less. St. Patrick’s Day is sure to still be fun and exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment